Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Rebellious Spirit of Independence.


Psa 139:7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
Psa 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Psa 139:9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Psa 139:10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
Psa 139:11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
Psa 139:12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
Psa 139:13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Psa 139:15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

Why would anyone want to flee from the Spirit of the Lord? Well, most of us, at one time or another.

As a teenager gets full of him or herself and longs to roam from home, so the believer's flesh can tend to seek its independence from the Creator.

The teenager is loved, well cared and provided for, protected and prayed for. And still, they feel the need to get out from under the old man and woman's thumb. If only they knew how good they have it.

Same with the believer. God is so good to us, He is willing to move heaven and earth for our benefit, but the rebellious will wants to go it alone.

Eventually the teen, now nearing 30, realizes how good he or she had it and how wonderful the parents actually are and longs for the old fellowship that existed before the rebellion poisoned the relationship. And so it is with the child of God who should never have went prodigal from the loving, caring God who meets every need.

Even this day, the temptation will be to sneak away from home, if only for a moment. Our flesh will long to go it alone, departing from our Maker to make an unwise decision, entertain a wicked thought, travel behind enemy lines, to give in to an unholy pleasure or habit.

Don't do it! Resist that fleshly appetite to rebel against heaven's authority. Stay close to Him, because He is always in you, above and below you, before and behind you, and if you stray, He is always there to bring you back home.

No comments: