Sunday, May 17, 2009

The House of the Lord


Here is the church, here is the steeple, open the doors and...where are the people?

Read Ps 132

Psa 132:3-5 Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed; I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids, Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.

I am struck by David's all consuming desire to build a house for the Lord. He commits to not even sleep until he finds a place to build it.

It takes me back to our search for land for our church. We had to consider zoning and local covenants. Once we found it there was the ordeal of procuring building permits and doing it according to all the building and safety codes. We had to prepare the ground, dig footers...well you get the idea, it was a long, drawn out labor of love to build the house of the Lord.

However, now that we have a wonderful edifice to house our local body of Christ, I am saddened that people are so reluctant to worship in God's house, ours or another.

Someone said, "build it and they will come." That isn't exactly the case. I hope that the people of the Lord will be faithful in their attendance to church.

It is Sunday morning and I am preparing for my trip to the house of the Lord. There will be the singing of His praises, encouragement and fellowship among the brethren, worship, the teaching and preaching of God's Word and so much more.

God's day, God's house, God's Word and God's people. I am excited!

No comments: