Monday, May 4, 2009

Living the Dream!


Psa 126:1-3 When the LORD turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream. Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them. The LORD hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.

"It's only a dream"
"You're dreaming"
"Pipe dreams"
"Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming"
"When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true"
"Day dreams"
"Whenever I want you all I have to do is dream"
"California dreamin'"
"I have a dream!"
"In your dreams"

Wow! You'd think dreams were a good thing...and they are! In my dreams, the impossible can happen. The dead are brought back to life, I can fly, happiness reigns.

My little girl dreamed last night of gold all around the streets. I said that's what heaven is like. She said it was heaven.

The psalmist is telling of an event so wonderful, so impossible, so satisfying that he thought it had to be a dream.

That event was the LORD delivering His people from captivity. After decades of Babylonian bondage, they were given their walking papers, and walk they did. All the way back to their homeland, to rebuild the city, the walls and the holy temple. It was so unbelievable that they were pinching each other to make sure it wasn't just a dream.

I said earlier that I often dream of flying. Sometimes I can dunk a basketball like Dr. J. Other times I can long jump and not land until I want to. In another recurring dream, I can be walking down a sidewalk and start bounding and not touch the ground for a block, or even more. That dream is so real to me. I think, while still sleeping, that I should enter the Olympics. Ha! I am 50 and thinking about the Olympics. "Only in your dreams."

OK, back to reality, time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Every time that God delivers me from an impossible situation, each time He frees me from bondage, when the God of the impossible turns again my captivity - another dream comes true.

Oh, and one day soon, I am going to fly. I will fly away from sin, away from corruption, away from heartache, sickness and pain. I will fly to the clouds, through the atmosphere, above the stars, through the Milky Way to my eternal home.

Don't be surprised if, on the way up you see me and I say to you, pinch me, I think I'm dreaming!

No comments: