Monday, May 18, 2009

Unity, Sweet Unity


Psa 133:1-3 A Song of degrees of David. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

Ah, one of my all time favorite Psalms. I despise confrontation and disharmony, especially in the realm of God's work. Why in the world do God's kids have to fight. If more people agreed with me more often, we wouldn't have a problem! :<)

Really though, if a church is all on the same page, whether it be the Bible, by-laws, church covenant, etc., then why should there ever be disunity? The answers are really pretty simple.
1. My agenda verses yours.
2. You hurt my feelings.
3. I just don't like his personality.
4. No one is going to talk to me that way.
5. They mistreated my kids (spouse, car, donkey, etc).
You get the idea, right? Disunity always boils down to carnality, personality and other non-essentials.

Augustine said it so well: "In essentials, unity, in non-essentials diversity, in all things charity."

Now, why can't I ever say things that profoundly elegant? I don't like Augustine anymore!

If anyone in my church ever decides to get in the flesh and cause problems, I think I'll punch their lights out!

Really though, I love what Paul said in Eph 4:3 “Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”

That word "endeavoring" is active and not passive. It is work, but we must strive to stay united, bound together and peaceful.

In the end, Jesus said that “blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.”

Questions we should ask ourselves this morning: Am I more adept at division-causing or at peace-making? When was the last time I was part of the solution rather than the problem? How can I bring about healing in our church starting today?

Get filled with the Spirit and start tearing the walls down, removing stumbling blocks. Forgive offences, heal, help, give, have compassion and bite your tongue rather than sharpen it. Peace is possible among God's people if we will but cooperate with God and each other.

Bind us together Lord!

No comments: