Saturday, May 9, 2009

How low can you go?


Psa 130:1 Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD.
Psa 130:2 Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
Psa 130:3 If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
Psa 130:4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.
Psa 130:5 I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
Psa 130:6 My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.
Psa 130:7 Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
Psa 130:8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

I am not a very flexible person. Take that in any sense you want to, but doing the limbo is one of the worst ideas imaginable for a non-bender like myself. I wasn't made to contort like that.

Getting low spiritually and emotionally isn't very enthralling to me either. The lower I go, the harder survival gets.

The psalmist finds himself way down in the dumps for the umpteenth time and tells us how to get back on top of things.

It seems that only when most of us hit bottom, do we decide to look up. When we are at our lowest, then we cry out for our "Higher Power."

So, from the depths this godly man cries out to the Lord. As usual, the Lord hears him. In spite of sin and iniquity, heaven has mercy for the millionth time and grants forgiveness.

There are three words repeated here that we must mark well; wait, hope and watch. The Lord rejoices in redemption, but it is not always on our schedule, so we must be patient and continue to cry out from the depths, the depths of depression, discouragement and disillusionment. Wait, hope and watch, for with the Lord there is mercy and plenteous redemption.

No matter how low we go, the Lord's arm is not shortened that it cannot save.

How low are you today? How far down have you gone? Cry out to the One who will hear your voice and grant mercy.

No comments: