Monday, March 1, 2010

The Rock that is Higher than I.


Psa 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psa 61:3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
Psa 61:4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

Rocks! When God finished creating the world, He took all of the leftover rocks and dumped them in the Holy Land!

David spent a lot of time in the wilderness. Earlier in life, he lived to tend sheep in pastures out among these rocks. As he fled from Saul, from Absolom, as he fought the Philistines...rocks everywhere. When wild animals threatened his sheep, he flung rocks at them. When he took down Goliath, he used a rocks. David knew rocks!!!
One Rock bade him draw near more than any other. The firm Rock in which he trusted. Everything else was unsure for David, he seldom knew a moment of peace. The king he served, the son he loved, the giant he slew, the wife he married... all turned on him.

David learned the lesson we all must learn sooner or later, God is the only constant in this tumultous life. He is the Rock of stability, the Anchor of the soul. Everything else will crumble, but He is the same yesterday, today and forever. The wise man, Jesus said, builds his life on that Rock so that, when the storms come, we shall not be moved.

Have you looked to that Rock that is higher than you? Do you trust solely in that Immutable Rock?

No comments: