Friday, March 12, 2010
Moses, the Great Servant of the Lord.
Deu 34:6 And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.
Deu 34:7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.
Deu 34:8 And the children of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.
Deu 34:9 And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses.
Deu 34:10 And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,
Deu 34:11 In all the signs and the wonders, which the LORD sent him to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, and to all his land,
Deu 34:12 And in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moses shewed in the sight of all Israel.
Jesus said of His cousin, John the Baptist, in Mt 11:11, "Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist:" So, here we have the greatest of the Old and the Greatest of the new.
In the last chapter of Deuteronomy, we have a summary of Heaven's estimation of Moses. Now, we can't imagine the Lord using flattery, for He is no respecter of persons. In a nutshell, here is what the Lord has to say of His servant Moses:
1. He died at 120 years of age with good eye sight and a strong body. This is a result of good living before the Lord.
2. The children of Israel, on the very brink of entering the Promised Land, pause to spend 30 days of down time in honor of their leader. I can't imagine anyone spending 30 seconds contemplating my passing.
3. No prophet, from this first one, Moses, all the way through the Old Testament up until John, matched Moses in his relationship with the Lord.
4. He was the only person who knew God face to face.
5. Moses was among the elite 4 miracle workers of the Bible, Jesus, Elijah, Elisha and Moses.
6. Moses received burial service from Eternal Rest Funeral Home. God Himself buried him in a sepulcher.
I would add that Moses was about the most humble man in the Bible, he had one of the most compelling stories and he saved Israel's bacon (an ironic analogy) on several occasions.
If anyone ever deserved accolades from heaven, it was this great man Moses.
Moses holds one more unusual distinction; he appeared with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration and will probably make a future appearance in the Tribulation as one of the 2 prophets.
May we allow the Lord to do something mighty through us today.