Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Now You Old Dudes Listen to Me!



Job 32:6  And Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite answered and said, I am young, and ye are very old; wherefore I was afraid, and durst not shew you mine opinion. 7  I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom. 8  But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding. 9  Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment. 10  Therefore I said, Hearken to me; I also will shew mine opinion. 11  Behold, I waited for your words; I gave ear to your reasons, whilst ye searched out what to say.12  Yea, I attended unto you, and, behold, there was none of you that convinced Job, or that answered his words:

Elihu, right or wrong in his judgment of Job, sure nailed his preamble!

1.     We need to respect our elders. We must listen to the wisdom of their years. Their education in the school of experience needs to be heeded.

2.     Another thing Elihu got right, there is a spirit in a man, young or old, through which God operates. He inspires and gives understanding to those who are sensitive to His still small voice.

3.     And yet another principle that Elihu nailed, when everyone else has had their say, a younger, respectful perspective deserves to be heard.

This wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper did not lack passion. His wrath had been kindled. He indicated that he was chock full of the matter, his insides were about to explode. He waited his turn and then let loose with what he felt God led him to say.

No comments: