Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Behold the Man



John 19:5  Then came Jesus forth, wearing the crown of thorns, and the purple robe. And Pilate saith unto them, Behold the man!


Crown of thorns, purple robe, beaten and standing alone
Accused, mocked and victimized by men with hearts of stone
Betrayed by Judas, denied by Peter, Judged by kingly powers
Condemned to death on a cross, where God would hang six hours.

Eyes full of compassion, now swollen by pugilist fists
Throat which proclaimed the blessed good news, parched, proclaiming, "I thirst!"
Hands of merciful healing, but since nailed to a tree
Feet which carried the gospel fixed to the cross of Calvary

Yet forgiveness flowed freely from a heart beating with love
Mercy, grace and cleansing offered from heaven above
"Father, forgive them" was heard by those around
As God's own blood dripped heavily to Golgotha's ground

2000 years ago, sin's price was fully paid
When on those holy shoulders all our guilt was laid
Jesus, Son of God, Who gave Himself to set us free
Now waits on Mercy's throne to hear the honest sinner's plea.

"Be merciful to me, O God! I am but a wicked soul
Not one thing have I ever done to get my name on heaven's roll
But if you will show your grace to me, that which I don't deserve
From this very day, my Lord, You I'll gladly serve"

No comments: