Monday, January 11, 2010

God Meant it for Good


Gen 50:18 And his brethren also went and fell down before his face; and they said, Behold, we be thy servants.
Gen 50:19 And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?
Gen 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.
Gen 50:21 Now therefore fear ye not: I will nourish you, and your little ones. And he comforted them, and spake kindly unto them.

I am struck by ability of our great and gracious God to take our tragedies and turn them into triumphs.

This past Lord's day was one of great victories, but also one of great sorrows. For sure, we were able to rejoice with those who rejoiced, but we also found ourselves weeping with those who wept. The depths of sorrows which some are experiencing go beyond the pale of the norm.

Yet, even in that suffering, I know that, like Joseph of old, the evil intended by our arch enemy will eventually be turned into great good by our God.

I think of one dear saint whose children are standing on her last nerve. They flaunt their rebellion in her face and dishonor her at almost every turn. I think of another gent who is struggling with his place in the family of God. Yet another is gripped in the clutches of a dangerous habit. Another lady is on the brink of losing so much. Still another feels weighted down false imaginations. How the tears flowed.

But I know, yonder out there on the horizon, victory is looming. God has salvation and blessing in store for these sample saints and many others if we will remain as faithful as Joseph.

As Joseph comforted his brethren with these words of hope, I kindly speak unto you, my dear friend. Hang on to God, stay in the Word, pray as if the world depended on your prayers, stay faithful and know that victory's a comin' over yonder.

No comments: