Saturday, December 24, 2011

Preparation of the Heart


Pro 16:1 The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.

Don't judge a book by its cover. That's the old adage. I still do! I'm just saying...

God does His work from the inside out. Men look on the outside of a person. That is what is evident and easy to discern. But God prepares the heart first.

CHOOSE THE RUNT
The prophet Samuel was tasked to search for the next Israeli king among the sons of Jesse. But God cautioned him to be careful not to dwell on the outward appearance too much. It is the heart, that which God discerns, which matters most. David, being the youngest brother, didn't have the brawn to be the king, but God knew he had what it took to lead.

OUT OF THE ABUNDANCE OF THE HEART
Once the heart of an individual has been prepared, it is evidenced by the answer of the tongue. And we know that what proceeds from the mouth has been prepared in the heart.

The Lord taught us in Luke 6:45, A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Slips of the tongue are generally just overflow from the heart. Usually, we say it because we thought it.

PARDON MY FRENCH
As a preacher, I get the following a lot, "Oh, pardon my French!" Well, it is evident the heart has been dwelling on the French language lately and has not been prepared properly.

That which we think upon is going to evidence itself eventually. The prophet Isaiah had been ushered into the presence of the Almighty in a vision. He was concerned that he'd misspeak because he dwelt in the midst of an unclean people (no offense to the French people intended). He recognized the possibility that he might use vulgar language before the Lord.

GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT
If you've ever worked construction or in a factory or served in the armed forces, you know exactly how Isaiah felt.

Therefore, we must pray with the Psalmist, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." And we need to determine that, "My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding."

It is one thing to guard our words, yet it is a better thing to guard our hearts.

THINK ABOUT THE GOOD THINGS
Psalm 45:1 My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I wish I had stumbled upon your blog last Saturday evening...My husband and I teach a Sunday school class of ages 8 to 10. Being Christmas morning, I wore one of my gifts to church, a perfume my husband purchased and we both liked it. We hadn't been in class very long till one child told me I smelled like an old woman....lol. I can laugh now, but that broke my heart Sunday. I thought I did good to hide it, but my husband busted my bubble there when he said I pouted in the corner. I'm learning that my old woman self needs a few lessons on words as well. It is funny how God gets your attention. My little one get's into more trouble by not listening the first time. Reading your blog made me start to think about the child's words. Then that got me thinking about my own words. If I would learn to listen the first time,and prepare my heart, maybe God wouldn't have to make me sit in the corner to get my attention about getting my attention on Him. Thank you.

Pastor Fuller said...

Tammy, that cracked me up. Thanks for making my night.