Friday, December 9, 2011
The Black List
Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
I am a list person. I like lists like: “Ten best cities in America to live.” “Ten strategies to better your (fill in the blank).”
Here is a list to which we must pay heed. God's list of the things He hates. They are as follows:
1. A proud look - you know the look! It is that expression that either says, "I am better than you," or maybe, "I will not accept responsibility," Or even, "It will be a cold day where the boogie man lives before I talk to her again." etc. We know that God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
2. A lying tongue – Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Lying sets itself in opposition to God. Lying is a source sin. If you lie, you will cheat. If you will cheat, you will steal. If you will steal you will kill. Lying is born of the evil one and is a jumping off sin. Like smoking leads to drinking or drugs, lying leads to other wickedness. God hates lying of all kinds, little white lies not excluded.
3. Hands that shed innocent blood - What is more destructive or hurtful than the taking of an innocent life? It is unconscionable that civilians lose their lives during war, collateral damage notwithstanding. We recoil in horror at the pictures or film clips of Jews dying at the hands of the Nazis. Who hasn't been saddened and sickened by the pictures of the mounds of skulls of innocent Cambodians slain by Pol Pot's wicked regime. And most horrific is the modern American holocaust of the unborn. 4,000 innocent lives a day are snuffed out by those clinician's hands which shed innocent blood. God hates those hands, which are connected to bodies, which house very dark hearts.
4. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations - Has there been a generation more characterized by evil imaginations than ours? With the proliferation of media, imagination has been piqued to the highest, perhaps I should say, the lowest level ever. Minds are dragged to the gutter at every turn. TV, movies, radio, internet, magazines, texting, tweeting, etc., are tools that can bless or curse. Because of man's degenerate state, they are most often used to foist the produce of evil imaginations.
5. Feet that be swift in running to mischief - Let's be honest, people need to get a good job, a godly family, a decent hobby and serve God. Then, they won't have time or interest to run to mischief (moral evil).
6. A false witness that speaketh lies - a healthy society depends upon the honesty of its citizenry. A true witness is necessary to ensure proper judgment. False witness tends to wrong that which is right and excuse that which is wrong. God's ninth commandment orders that we must not bear false witness against our neighbor. The breakdown of an orderly society will result from false witness.
7. He that soweth discord among brethren - some commentators infer that this seventh item is the one that ultimately morphs the list from "hatred" to "abomination." Hatred is a strong emotion of distaste against an enemy. An abomination is something considered morally disgusting. Pitting a believer against a believer rates "abomination" status with the Lord.
May the items on this list never once be named among believers.