Friday, August 26, 2011

God is Faithful (33 years of ministry)


33 years ago, I was sitting at a table in the Field House of Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College, San Dimas, CA. I was busy nervously signing up for my freshman classes. A friend, Rhonda Shook (of the Singing Shooks) introduced me to Bro. Tom McCrary, pastor of Faith Baptist Church in Riverside, CA. She knew he needed a music pastor and that I was a music guy, so she would be the head hunting service which brought us together.

On the spot, Bro. McCrary hired me to be his minister of music for the whopping sum of $50 a week, which basically paid for the gas to get back and forth each day from San Dimas to Riverside and to haul PCBBC students to church on Wednesdays and Sundays. I think it also was enough to buy me a couple of grease burgers and fries per week down at the local Greek dive. That place had little TVs on the tables that you fed dimes into. Bible college students were pretty much TV deprived, so it was a popular spot.

For the past 33 years, I have been on this fantastic roller coaster called full time ministry, and what a fun ride it has been! I have to say, I am enjoying it now more than ever, thanks to two wonderful families, mine and the church God has blessed me with.

San Dimas, CA; El Centro, CA; Montrose, CO; East Peoria, IL; Cortez, CO; Ellicott, CO; Mooresville, IN and Lincoln, NE. These have been my places of service over these past 3.3 decades. God has been so faithful to this unworthy, but very grateful servant.

And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; 1 Tim 1:12

No comments: