Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Passion, and a Plan, for the Lost


1Cor 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the
law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak
became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all
men, that I might by all means save some
.

I know of no one in history as passionate for the salvation of lost souls that Paul. He went to amazing lengths and suffered tremendous deprivation to bring wanderers to the fold. He plotted wisely to gain souls for Christ. He was absolutely consumed with soul-winning.

The strategies Paul employed in bringing people to Christ are impressive. When he first entered a town, he went to the synagogue and started discussions based on local mores and how the Messiah fit into the scheme. He looked for openings and burst through them with Spirit power.

He never met a soul that didn't get a witness. Especially impressive was his ability to converse intelligently with just about anybody on any subject. It encourages us to acquire useful knowledge and be able to turn it into conversation starters leading to the message of the gospel.

Being all things to all men that by all means we might save some does not mean that we are chameleon in character. It means that we are well read and readily aware of how we might get the conversation going that will lead to a witness.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity of riding a new Road King Police Model Harley to the Hell's Angel's club house in El Cajon, CA (San Diego). Knowing that we would be witnessing there, I packed my "Stolen from the Lincoln Police Department" t-shirt, hoping that it might open up a conversation. It did! For a good ten minutes, I was able to witness to a lady and a friend of the bikers just outside the front door. We had a great visit and she was turned on to Christ! Guess how the conversation got started? "I love your t-shirt" she said as I was backing the bike up to the curb. I was glad that God gave me the wisdom to pack that shirt. I was also happy to be able to talk of the gang and bikes without being judgmental to her.

All things to all men!

No comments: