Monday, April 18, 2011

Tax Day

Mat 22:17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? 18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? 19 Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. 20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? 21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets

Alright, here is the deal, April 15th is past and still taxes aren't due. But at the stroke of midnight tonight, the tax man cometh. We render unto Caesar on the 18th this year because of Emancipation Day. It fell on Saturday, but in order for Washington to celebrate it, it was held on tax day, April 15th. Therefore, the deadline for taxes was moved to Monday, the 18th. In other words, the celebration of the freedom from slavery could not coincide with the day we are reminded that slavery still exists in America. Is that clear now? I despise paying taxes! I do it because Jesus said we have to render unto Caesar, so we are rendering, but I don't like it one bit. If my tax money meant secure borders and national defense it would be a different matter, but since my taxes fund: the dreams of illegal aliens, the welfare state, Michelle’s world tours, the International Monetary Fund which finances godless global wars, the National Endowment for the Arts, National Public Radio, Planned Parenthood, etc., I cringe when I sign my returns. I do usually add the words, "under duress" to my John Hancock. But I must tell you, I have no problem rendering unto God what is God's. I know that what He asks from me will be spent wisely and righteously. And so, I gladly render my love to the Lord; heart, soul and mind. And that is not taxing at all!

No comments: