Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sovereign Friendship

Isa 41:8 But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.
Joh 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

I pray that I am not guilty of much presumption as I pen this thought.

We worship Almighty God, Who stands alone above the universe, yet is transcendent to our mortal existence. He, Who needs none other has called us into a blessed and personal relationship with Him, allowing our pusillanimous souls to become one with His omnipotent Being.

He has sent His Spirit into our loathsome hearts that we may relish the privilege of crying out to Him, "Abba, Father!"

He has adopted our wretched souls into His glorious family, calling us sons, and has made us heirs of His majesty.

But then, strictly by His sovereign will, He has chosen to call us friends.

Oh my! What a miserable friend I am! I am as dispassionate, uncaring, neglectful and disloyal a friend as any could ever have. Yet He claims me, a lowly worm as His compatriot. This, on the sole merit of faith, not even my own, but the faith given to me from above, the same faith which called Abraham, high father of all the faithful, into this unbalanced yoke of friendship with the Divine.

How undeservedly blessed I am to be called the friend of God, to be counted along with David and Abraham as one of God's consorts.

May I never take for granted my disposition as an unlikely friend to the best Friend with Whom anyone could ever hope to keep company.

No comments: