Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thirsty?


Isa 55:1 Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

What are you thirsty for?

Appetites are cultivated. We are told to train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it. That verse teaches us to develop their appetites for the right things. If a baby's palette is trained to appreciate veggies, guess what? They will enjoy them later in life.

I drink diet colas. Some people just can't stand the aftertaste, but I am used to it. My thirst for sodas used to mean about 400-500 calories per day. Since I have begun my new habit of diet sodas 17 years ago, I have avoided over 3 million calories that I would have consumed by drinking sugared pop.

I know, I know, no pop is good for you. Just please allow me to revel a bit in my avoidance of sugar in liquid form!

It is summertime now. The heat is oppressive and the thirst is excessive. A guy/gal has to stay hydrated while working outside or he's/she's in for a world of hurt.

So, what do you grab when you are thirsty? Good old fashioned water? Pop? Tea? Gatorade?

How about your thirsts in life? What do you grab when you need some soulful satisfaction? Is it truly satisfying or are you left with an even greater thirst?

Jesus said “blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.”

Perhaps your palette hasn't been accustomed to desire righteousness. TV, entertainment, pleasure and the like are such a part of life in our culture that we long for them to quench our thirst, but alas, they leave us high and dry, longing for something more satisfying.
Jesus is offering you an invitation to come and freely drink of satisfying
soul water. There is no cost. He asks us why we would spend our resources
for that which can never satisfy.

Thirsty? Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

No comments: