Thursday, June 25, 2009

Got Wisdom?


Pro 2:1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
Pro 2:2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
Pro 2:3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
Pro 2:4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
Pro 2:5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
Pro 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
Pro 2:7 He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.

It strikes me as I read this passage how difficult wisdom is to come by. How many people do we know that are wisdom challenged? See what I mean? You could probably count on one hand the people you know whom you consider to be sage individuals.

In my own experience, I know that the Lord desires me to have wisdom in the decisions I make, but it never seems to come very easily.

Bro. James tells us that if any of us lack wisdom, we should ask God, Who gives to all men liberally and upbraids not.

And yet, that wisdom must be diligently sought. Look at these verses concerning wisdom, understanding and knowledge...
(v 2) We have to incline our ear and apply our heart
(v 3) We have to cry after and lift up our voice for them
(v 4) We must mine them as ore

In each of these word pictures we see that the wisdom we seek is readily available and offered to us but it has to be worked for.

It is said that that which is easily gained is not readily appreciated. The same is the case with this golden prize called wisdom.

I don't know about you, but I have to get to work today inclining, applying, crying, shouting and mining because I need a lot of wisdom. There are many forks in my trails. I have important decisions to make. I can't lean unto my own understanding because it always fails. “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” Prov 14:12

I need the mind of God in my finances, my health, my church, my family, my plans, my relationships, in so many areas.

Practically then, where are the mines rich with nuggets of wisdom that I need?

1. If I would incline my ear unto wisdom, it stands to reason that I must listen to those who are wise. Biblical preaching and teaching would be one venue. Sitting at the feet of wise individuals, drinking in their understanding would be another. So, church, a good radio station, the right kind of TV, videos, DVDs, good books, etc. These are the places I can garner wisdom as I listen to others.

2. In the application of my heart to understanding I imagine myself thinking and studying, listening to the Spirit of God within me as I meditate on His still small voice dispensing silvery veins of knowledge within my heart.

3. As I stand at the mouth of the cavernous mines of sound wisdom, thirdly, I call into the mine, sounding and seeking with my voice for direction to the richest ores to sustain me in my quest for answers to my dilemmas. This is called prayer and petition. We have not because we ask not. If we would but plead to the Lord, He will direct us to the places to dig.

4. The most productive mine of all is the Word of God. No other book can touch the hem of the garment of the Bible.

I think of the book of Proverbs, the Sermon on the Mount, the writings of Paul, the gospels rich in the divine teachings of our Savior.

Here is what I have found, the Bible is a living Book. It has a sufficient answer for every question I have ever had. And that answer has always come on the very day I dug for wisdom concerning my problem.

Lord, lead me to the truth I need for today's questions. I am listening, meditating, crying out and digging. Thank you for not turning me down in my quest for answers.

No comments: