Monday, June 15, 2009

To Be Like Jesus!


Psa 145:7-9 They shall abundantly utter the memory of thy great goodness, and shall sing of thy righteousness. The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy. The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

Emotional, fleshly, impulsive. 3 words which embody the human condition when we are not close to the Lord. We know what it is like to be human. But, Oh! To be like Jesus! What a tremendous endeavor.

For those that long to be near Him and be like Him, these verses give us a few important character traits of His we also ought to exhibit. They are:
Goodness
Righteousness
Graciousness
Compassion
Slow to Anger
Merciful
Good to all
Tender

Of course, in and of ourselves, this is an impossible feat, but with His help, all things are possible. Shall we strive to be more like our Lord in these areas today?

In 1911, James Rowe penned these immortal words:

Earthly pleasures vainly call me;
I would be like Jesus;
Nothing worldly shall enthrall me;
I would be like Jesus.

Refrain
Be like Jesus, this my song,
In the home and in the throng;
Be like Jesus, all day long!
I would be like Jesus.

He has broken every fetter,
I would be like Jesus;
That my soul may serve Him better,
I would be like Jesus.

All the way from earth to glory,
I would be like Jesus;
Telling o’er and o’er the story,
I would be like Jesus.

That in Heaven He may meet me,
I would be like Jesus;
That His words “Well done” may greet me,
I would be like Jesus.

No comments: