Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Muddy Gloves or Glovey Mud?


Pro 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
Pro 1:11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:
Pro 1:12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:
Pro 1:13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:
Pro 1:14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:
Pro 1:15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:
Pro 1:16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.
Pro 1:17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.
Pro 1:18 And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.

I was shown the following verse as a teen: Be not deceived, evil communications corrupt good manners. I Cor 15:33

The illustration that was given was about kids throwing muddy snowballs at each other, wearing white gloves. Once they have finished, you can see the mud all over the white gloves, but you can't perceive much of the white glove remaining on the muddy snowballs.

It happens every time. Good people try to hang out with and influence wicked individuals. A godly girl marries an unbeliever. A Christian thinks he can convert the lost by frequenting their ungodly haunts and the same thing generally results. The darkness snuffs out the light rather than the intended opposite. We are, in fact, commissioned to influence our dark world. But not at the price of our own light being snuffed out. We are to be in the world, but not of it. Therefore the Word is plain, we are not to link up with evil.

Our verses today show what may be the result, the temptation to perform unconscionable acts which break all of God's holy laws.

The reading of Proverbs 1:10-18 is akin to reading Romans 3, where the whole human race is condemned for its nose-thumbing at the heavens.

But wisdom is busy making itself clear:
Pro 1:20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
Pro 1:21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
Pro 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Pro 1:23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
Pro 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
Pro 1:25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

Proverbs is a great daily reminder to listen to the voice of wisdom and ignore those tempting voices to break the Law of God.

Let's encourage our children (and ourselves) to be influenced by the right voices and to avoid getting our gloves muddy.

Lord, let me be a godly influence today in whichever venue you place me. Let me not be enticed by evil voices beckoning me to forsake your law. Give me wisdom and discernment to not be unezually yoked with unbelievers. In Jesus' name, Amen!

1 comment:

TN Lizzie said...

I found this blog post while searching for an image for "Does the mud get glovey?"

I have an idea to make a constant reminder for your youth, based on 1 Corinthians 15:33.

I did this with my little girl:

I bought a pair of white gloves at Goodwill. I took her outside and make a mud puddle. I had her put on the white gloves, and asked her what would happen when she puts one gloved hand in the puddle ~ Will the mud get "glovey" or will the glove get muddy?

I had her stick one pretty white glove into the mud. Ewwwww!

I took photos of the 2 gloved hands, with the clean white one on top.

If you let the mud dry on the glove, you could frame the 2 of them in a shadow box, and hang them on the wall, but it would be much easier to frams and hang the photo ~ LOL

Blessings to you as you teach the Truths of scripture!