Friday, January 16, 2009

Oh that I had wings like a dove!


Ps 55:4-6 My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.
And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.

Because we find troubles all around us, because our hearts are hurting and we have fear of what could be lurking around the next corner, we are often tempted to run away.

The Psalmist was a flight risk also. He had fierce enemies, they were doing him wrong, he was horrified at the wickedness around him, he was heart-broken and fearful. He fantasized that he were like a bird so he could just fly away and find more comfortable surroundings where he could finally rest from his problems.

There is not a one of us who doesn't relate to this desire.

But there are problems with flight.

1. Our problems, not dealt with, always catch up to us. They seem to get forwarded to our retreat location.

2. A brand new set of problems will await us at our new address.

3. Our retreat location is never "all that." What we had hoped for and the reality are often very different things.

4. When we flee our situations, we also forsake those who love us and have invested their lives into us.

5. We cheat ourselves of God’s purpose for our trials.

The truth of the matter is, God would have us to remain in the battle and allow Him to do the fighting for us. This way, we can experience the exuberance of victory. Tough situations are part of the human pathos, winning (and even losing) are part of our growth and learning experience.

Remember that God makes all things beautiful in His time. Sometimes he calms the storm in our lives, sometimes He rides out the storm with us. There are mountains He removes from our path, but more often, He gives us the strength to climb them.

So stay in the battle, my friend. I know you want to run, to hide, to rest, but God has victory and growth planned for you. The answer to what you are going through is already on its way. God will see you through. Stay put, stay strong, stay faithful.

No comments: