Monday, March 5, 2012

True Riches


Mat 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
Mat 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Of course, there is nothing inherently wrong with being rich. However, idolatry and/or independence from God rank high on God's list of no-no's.

In all my years of sharing the gospel, the rich people I have led to Christ are very few and far between. Those who are well-to-do generally feel they are doing okay without all that born-again stuff.

One day, I decided to go from door to door soul-winning in Peoria Heights, IL. This is an upper crust neighborhood, mostly built on the alcohol industry, along with Caterpillar execs. (BTW, upper crust: a bunch of crumbs held together by their own dough).

I was actually able to lead one man to the Lord at the front door of one of these mansions. He was a Vietnamese man, not far removed from his native land and lately come into riches. Other than that, he is the only individual living in a posh neighborhood I have ever been able to convince that he had need of a Savior.

Perhaps you are aware that Warren Buffet, one of the richest men in the world no longer believes in God. He was raised in the Omaha Bible Tabernacle with a mother who taught Sunday school. I do admire the man. He lives simply, is down to earth and comes across as humble to boot. Too bad though that, rather than possessing riches, too often, riches possess people.

There are those believers who have held great wealth whose greatest riches were reserved in heaven, people such as Henry Ford, J.C. Penny, R.G. LaTourneau, J.L. Kraft, etc.

True riches do not exclude Christ, but are found in Him.

My Father is rich in houses and lands,
He holdeth the wealth of the world in his hands!
Of rubies and diamonds, of silver and gold,
His coffers are full, he has riches untold.

I'm the child of a King, the child of a King,
With Jesus, my Saviour, I'm the child of a King.

My Father's own Son, the Saviour of men,
Once wandered o'er earth as the poorest of them;
But now he is reigning for ever on high,
And will give me a home in heav'n by and by.

I once was an outcast stranger on earth,
A sinner by choice, and an alien by birth!
But I've been adopted, my name's written down,
An heir to a mansion, a robe, and a crown.

A tent or a cottage, why should I care?
They're building a palace for me over there!
Though exiled from home, yet still I may sing:
All glory to God, I'm the child of a King.

No comments: