Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Payday is Coming


Mat 19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore? 28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. 30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

When I think of the trade I made with the Lord when I got saved committed myself to follow Him, I am convinced, I really got the best of the trade. He took my sins, my sorrows, my burdens, my disappointment, my grief, my punishment. I received eternal life, joy, peace, happiness, love, forgiveness, grace, mercy, justification, hope, strength, promise, purpose and hundreds of other precious and lasting things.

I have known those who experienced deprivation in serving the Lord. I have witnessed as Missionaries said their tearful goodbyes to family and friends, and have left the comforts of home for foreign shores where nothing but the grace of God and His supply is for sure.

Jesus gave us some very precious promises in this passage. He assured us that He would more than recompense us, both here in this life and in the life to come, if we would bid farewell to the safety of our comfort zones and step out by faith to follow Him. He promises that there is a special place in heaven reserved for us and that the number of our dear relationships will increase by one hundred fold, here and in heaven. Additionally, we receive the blessedness of eternal life.

The old evangelist, Ira Stanphill, said it well in his song, Take Up Thy Cross and Follow Me...

I traveled down a lonely road and no one seemed to care,
The burden on my weary back had bowed me to despair,
I oft complained to Jesus how folks were treating me,
And then I heard Him so so tenderly,

"My feet were also weary upon the Calv'ry road,
The cross became so heavy I fell beneath the load,
Be faithful weary pilgrim, the morning I can see,
Just lift your cross and follow close to me."

"I work so hard for Jesus" I often boast and say,
"I've sacrificed a lot of things to walk the narrow way,
I gave up fame and fortune; I'm worth a lot to thee,"
And then I heard Him gently say to me,

"I left the throne of glory and counted it but loss,
My hands were nailed in anger upon a cruel cross,
But now we'll make the journey with your hand safe in mine,
So lift your cross and follow close to me."

Oh Jesus if I die upon a foreign field someday
'Twould be no more than love demands, no less could I repay,
"No greater love hath mortal man than for a friend to die,"
These are the words he gently spoke to me,

"If just a cup of water I place within your hand
Then just a cup of water is all that I demand,"
But if by death to living they can thy glory see,
I'll take my cross and follow close to thee.


Don’t lay the old cross down until you have reached the finish line. It has tremendous trade in value!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Every sacrifice is worth it to be with our God!