Saturday, May 28, 2011
Don't Mention It!
Eph 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
I'm a list guy. I've even purchased a few books in the past listing lists. But here's one list Christians and churches need to pay close heed to, Paul's list of things that should never even once be named among the saints.
1. Fornication - a catch all word for all sexual sin
2. Uncleanness - physical or moral impurity
3. Covetous - avarice, the impure desire to have something for ourselves that does not, and should not belong to us.
4. Filthiness - obscene shamefulness
5. Foolish Talking - Silly buffoonery
6. Jesting - Ribald wittiness
7. Whoremongering - chasing after prostitutes or those who act emulate them
8. Idolatry - Serving or worshipping images
Yet, we all know supposed "brothers" who have succumbed to these unmentionable sins. From this moment on, let us avoid even having to discuss such debauchery among the family of God.