Thursday, May 5, 2011

Believing God

Rom 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Abraham is famous for believing God. He pulled up stakes (literally) and moved lock, stock and barrel to the place God told him to go. He did it without hesitation. This was no small thing. Consider that he had no idea where he was going and how he would subsist. It was an all or nothing, make or break, boom or bust proposition and it all depended on God's promises.

It got me to thinking, what am I believing God for today? Of course, I believe Him for all the big things I know are covered; salvation, eternity, sins forgiven, power for living, needs met. But there ought to be something demanding my obedience and faith, a calling, a burden, a command from God which demands my belief.

What good does Abraham's example do me if I can't appropriate a promise from God after He has given me a direction? I am not waiting for a voice from a burning bush, nor a booming call from heaven, but that still, small voice which speaks through the Word as I prayerfully peruse its pages.

God bless you as you read His Word today, and if you find a personal command, believe God for the wisdom, strength and tenaciousness to do what He would have you to do. It will be counted as righteousness.

No comments: