Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy in the Service of the King


Ps 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Way back in 1912, the following song was sritten by Alfred Ackley.
I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
I have peace and joy that nothing else can bring,
In the service of the King.

In the service of the King,
Every talent I will bring.
I have peace and joy and blessing
In the service of the King.
I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
Through the sunshine and the shadow I can sing,
In the service of the King.
I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
To His guiding hand forever I will cling,
In the service of the King.
I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
All that I possess to Him I gladly bring,
In the service of the King.
Could you sing this from your heart?
Christianity is a real drag to a lot of Christians. Some of them look as if they were baptized in persimmon juice. This is a terrible reflection of the faith. It has been said that the best advertisement for God is a smile. I wonder what my billboard is saying.
The Psalmist's heart is filled with God's law, he preaches righteousness, vs 9, he has kept his tongue, he has witnessed to others, vs 10, and has had a blast doing so!
We should ask ourselves today if we still get a kick out of serving the Lord. It really is fun walking with Him and in His light, doing His bidding.
*Have you ever led another soul to Christ? There is nothing on earth that matches the euphoria that comes with birthing another person into the kingdom of Christ.
*Have you ever given to the need of another? Great satisfaction is the result of such selflessness. *Have you truly worshiped God, giving Him the glory He deserves? He inhabits the praises of His people. It is a powerful satisfaction you experience when you pour yourself out to Him in worship.
Truly, it is a wonderful delight to serve the Lord.
If you are not currently experiencing the delight of service, perhaps it is time to examine how and why you are toiling for Him.
1. Are you in it for yourself or is it all about Him?
2. Do you have unreasonable expectations for results in service or do you leave all that up to Him?
3. Are you serving in the Spirit's power or in your own?
4. Does His agenda trump yours?
Friend, God wants you to enjoy your Christian life and delight in Christian service is really possible.
Have a blast serving the King today!

No comments: