Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Power of the New Song.



Ps. 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Doesn't it just irk you when you hear some song that you can't get out of your head? A song you don't even like! For me, ‘Hey Jude’, or maybe ‘Hotel California’. Argh, now I just did it to myself.

Music is powerful. God designed it that way. The poet said, "Music hath (the) power to soothe the savage breast. (later, someone changed it to 'beast').

Music can inspire, encourage, teach, express, even depress, among many other things.

I am a music guy. I can at least make a tune on maybe 9 instruments. Though not accomplished, I love to sing as much as possible. I got my start in the ministry in music. (In prison, by the way. By the end of the day though, when they locked the doors, I was on the outside). So I love to sing this new song that God put in my mouth.

About the new song, this is the one God put in our mouth. It is a song of praise and worship to our God, a song expressing our love and gratefulness to our wonderful Lord. This is a song that the world didn't give, so it is a song that the world can't take away.

The verse goes on to tell us that “when others shall see it.” Did you catch that, “see it?” Not “hear it” but “see it.” It is more important that people see you sing than hear you sing. (That could be a real blessing the way some sing). Your song of praise is a testimony to the lost. So don't stop and don't be afraid to let them hear you. The result of that is that others will fear and trust the Lord.

So, get with it saint, rare back and sing that new song for God and those around you.

No comments: