Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Words of the Preacher


Ecc 1:1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem. 2 Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

There's not a church in the world today who would even consider perusing Solomon's resume'. This man had 700 wives and 300 concubines. (One little Sunday-schooler called them porcupines, and for good reason, life got rather prickly!)

His heart had been drawn from the Lord by his idolatrous wives. He tried to experience fulfillment through everything the world had to offer. In the end, he could get no satisfaction. (Okay, quick singing that song in your mind!)

But now, toward the end of life, with much experience under his girdle, he wizens up again and begins to preach about the basic principles of life. Mainly, fear God, serve Him and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

We can learn a lot from experience, and Shlomo sure had plenty of that. So I am taking a little excursion into his "wisdom" book, Ecclesiastes.

They say he was the wisest man who ever lived, but he pulled some of the most boneheaded stunts imaginable. He reminds me of me! When I am walking with the Lord as I should, I am surprised with myself (and pleased with the One Who dwells within me). But when I do things on my own, lean on my own understanding, take matters into my own hands, etc., watch out! Boneheaded actions result in less-than-desirable consequences.

No comments: