Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Hair-Triggered Temper

Eccl 7:9 Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.
Just try to empty a tube of toothpaste and then reinserting the paste back into the tube. Or, tear open a feather pillow and spread its contents to the wind. Then try to re-gather those feathers back into the case. Impossible! Once a shotgun blasts its pellets, the damage cannot be undone. And so it is with the quick temper of a man. The blast of anger does irreparable damage that cannot be undone. I have seen tempers divide families, split churches, crumble marriages and destroy friendships. Oh, that we would learn to be filled with the Spirit so we would not cave to the carnality of the flesh. Spirit power provides us with the needed love, joy, peace and longsuffering that will keep our unruly tempers in check. Last evening, after a powerful, Spirit-anointed church service with a Filipino missionary, I was basking in the afterglow on the drive home when a crazed lunatic rushed upon my bumper, almost running us off the road. (Anyone who drives faster than me is a crazed lunatic, anyone who drives slower is an old granny!) My fleshly reaction was to retaliate and join in this guy's reckless game of chicken. Some of you know exactly what I am talking about. But due to the fact that I was filled with the Lord's Spirit at this time, I was careful to just get out of his way and let the moment pass. Two hot heads in the same area combined with escalation does not a pretty sight make! If you have a problem with a quick temper, you need to give that problem over to the Lord before you do irreparable damage to a valued relationship or some other unfortunate malady ensues. Is your all on the altar of sacrifice laid? Does your heart the Spirit control? You can only be blessed And have peace and sweet rest As you yield Him your body and soul!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

All so true. Speaking of drivers, I always try to imagine what kind of life trauma they might be going through to cause their irrational driving, then it's easier to forgive their recklessness.

When my sister and I were leaving the hospital after just watching our mom pass away before our eyes, we had to stop at the gas station before going home. Without thinking, I drove away with the pump still in my tank! Quickly backing up, I hated going in to speak to the cashier, but she was so pleasant about it; said it happened all the time and waved us on.

I bawled when I got back behind the wheel. The Spirit was definitely with the cashier that day.