Thursday, April 5, 2012

Is it I?


Mat 26:25 Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.

Each of the disciples asked Jesus this same question. Oh, how many times have we sold out our innocent, benevolent Savior? He has showered us with great grace, full forgiveness and magnificent mercy. No love matches His.

Yet, we sell Him out because of fear, embarrassment, pride, lust, greed, convenience, etc.

Think about it, would He EVER sell you out? You know the answer, don't you? He would never pull a Judas on us. Never would He plant a betrayer's kiss on our cheek.

One thing we have to admit about old Judas, at least his conscience kicked in after his dirty deed. The guilt of what he had done drove him to suicide, which meant out of the frying pan and into the fire for him.

Have you noticed though, when Jesus made the announcement concerning His impending betrayal, nobody looked at Judas as the obvious perpetrator? Each one asked, "Is it I?" They each knew what they were made of and how flawed they really were. I mean, hey, when you are walking dusty roads everyday next to perfection, your foibles are pretty evident.

Today is Thursday prior to Easter. Most likely the day of crucifixion during holy week. Today we focus our thoughts on the cross. With God's help, let us each stay faithful.

Fanny Crosby's classic hymn states:

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
There a precious fountain—
Free to all, a healing stream—
Flows from Calv’ry’s mountain.

Refrain:
In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory ever;
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and Mercy found me;
There the bright and morning star
Sheds its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
With its shadows o’er me.

Near the cross I’ll watch and wait
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand,
Just beyond the river.

No comments: