Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Importance of Finishing Well

Eccl 7:8 Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
I have seen more than my share of flashes in the pan. You know those folks who come in a make a big splash in the little pond, but down the road, they aren't working out so well? We tend to initially get really fired up about something. Our emotions are piqued and our resolve is high. But with time and the usual distractions, we lose interest. But better is the end of something than its beginning. When good intentions have been followed through and the deed is done, then we can get especially excited. We would do well to consider the following when we embark on a new project: 1. Look before you leap. Is this something to which you can really give yourself over the long run? 2. Count the cost. Do you have what it takes to finish the job? 3. Have a proper resolve. Character demands sticktoitiveness. 4. Maintain your enthusiasm 5. Be patient. The verse says that patience trumps pride. It'll take you much further toward completion. 6. Push through the difficult times. Nothing of consequence is going to come easy. 7. Look to the Lord for needed strength. "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles. They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." Isa 40:31 8. Keep your eyes on the prize. Ignore the temptations to quit. If it was worth doing, it is worth finishing. Just finishing a job has a great reward. What have you started that needs a good finish? Most of all, finish your Christian race with the words of the Apostle Paul, "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." I Tim 4:6-8

No comments: