Saturday, November 10, 2012

Just a Few



Rev 3:4  Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

We tend to paint a picture of judgment day where crowns are passed out indiscriminately and in abundance and all is joy and happiness.

But I sometimes wonder if the words "Well done!" will be as generously spoken as we imagine.

The fact that I am saved from sin and to salvation, from hell and to heaven, from wickedness and to good works, from the kingdom of darkness and to the family of God is all I could ever need. But to gain heaven and be in the eternal presence of the Saviour is so much more. Then, to assume that God owes me commendation for my lackluster service and dispassionate living is tantamount to the entitlement mentality which surrounds us on every hand.

There were just a few worthy in that Sardine can called a church who would walk with Christ in white because their garments were not defiled with the filth of their culture.

I can't help but think that only a few will make it from many of our churches today. Didn't the Master Himself say that "...straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."?

I have to ask myself again as Mr. Watts did so long ago,

Must I be carried to the skies
   On flowery beds of ease?
While others fought to win the prize,
   And sailed through bloody seas?

No comments: