Friday, January 20, 2012

Will a Man Contend with God?


Job 9:1 Then Job answered and said,
Job 9:2 I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God?
Job 9:3 If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand.
Job 9:4 He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength: who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?
Job 9:5 Which removeth the mountains, and they know not: which overturneth them in his anger.
Job 9:6 Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.
Job 9:7 Which commandeth the sun, and it riseth not; and sealeth up the stars.
Job 9:8 Which alone spreadeth out the heavens, and treadeth upon the waves of the sea.
Job 9:9 Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.
Job 9:10 Which doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number.
Job 9:11 Lo, he goeth by me, and I see him not: he passeth on also, but I perceive him not.
Job 9:12 Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder him? who will say unto him, What doest thou?
Job 9:13 If God will not withdraw his anger, the proud helpers do stoop under him.
Job 9:14 How much less shall I answer him, and choose out my words to reason with him?

The word “contend” in verse 3 means to grapple, or wrestle, whether physically or mentally, such as in a debate of controversy.

Imagine that, a person debating God! Can you conceive of an individual in a physical match with the Universe’s Creator. What a complete mismatch! As the heavens are high above the earth, so much higher are His ways than ours, His thoughts than ours.

Fighting or arguing with the Lord would be akin to Einstein matching wits with a little baby, or Mike Tyson squaring off in a ring against a quadriplegic. Could you imagine Michael Phelps in a pool racing against Donald Trump? Or Donald Trump bidding against a beggar at an art auction? Do you get the idea? Let’s match up the champs of the Super Bowl on a gridiron with the Pee Wee champs of Paducah, Kentucky. It just wouldn’t be a fair game.

We chuckle at the attempts of the likes of Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher and Christopher Hitchens to tangle with God, but, for heaven’s sake, tell my why in the world we who are believers would go toe to toe daily against the Lord? Why do we try to match wits with the one whom verse 3 says we wouldn’t prevail against in even one out of a thousand questions in a game of Trivial Pursuit?

He laid out the stars, we lay eggs (figuratively, of course). Hey spoke the worlds into existence, I get tongue tangled talking to myself. He invented physics, gravity, the laws of nature, I have invented…well, nothing. He stretched out the neck of the giraffe, I can only stretch the truth. He loved the world, I have a hard time loving my neighbor (don’t be too hard on me, you don’t know my neighbor!).

So why do I think I am going to win a wrestling match with the Lover of my Soul? I am not, but, like Jacob of old, I will wrestle all night with Him until I am crippled. Finally, I let go and let God and, like Jacob, I am blessed.

We lowly humans are so pumped up with pride and ego. Even though our win/loss record in contending with the Father currently tallies about 1,416,327 to 0, we still answer the bell for the next round and another slaughter.

So Job considers the greatness of God and His matchless ability: He moves mountains, shakes the earth, tells the sun when to shine, puts the stars in place, walks upon the seas, designs the Zodiac, He gives and takes away.

How are you going to contend with that? Rather, just get on His side, report for duty and do His will. It is best to side with a winner.

No comments: