Sunday, February 27, 2011
Better than the Angels
Heb 1:4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
Please do not misunderstand, Jesus has always existed uncreated. We read that He was “made” so much better than the angels, but note that the word made, ginomai, means that He was caused to be superior in authority, nature and excellence than the angels.
And, not a just a bit, but a bunch, because in comparison, man was made "a little lower than the angels." 2:7, and we understand how far superior Christ is to man.
However, Christ was made to be a little lower than the angels only in that He was caused to suffer death, whereas angels do not taste of death.
What does it mean then, to be better than angels? Here is what we know about them:
1. They are messengers of God whose attributes are strength and wisdom. (2Sa_14:20); (Psa_103:20); (Psa_104:4).
2. They are referred to as masculine in gender, though sex is never ascribed to them. (Mat_22:30); (Mar_12:25).
3. Their number is inconceivable. (Mat_26:53); (Heb_12:22); (Rev_5:11); (Psa_68:17).
4. They possess amazing power. (2Ki_19:35).
5. Many of them occupy the throne room of God. (Rev_5:11); (Rev_7:11).
6. They are dispatched to each believer to minister to and protect them. (1Ki_19:5); (Psa_34:7); (Psa_91:11); (Dan_6:22); (Mat_2:13); (Mat_2:19); (Mat_4:11); (Luk_22:43); (Act_5:19); (Act_12:7-10).
7. They observe us. (1Co_4:9); (Eph_3:10); (Ecc_5:6).
8. They conduct the believer home at the end of life. (Luk_16:22).
9. They will accompany Jesus at His second coming. (Mat_25:31).
10. They will participate in the judgment of the nations. (Mat_13:30); (Mat_13:39); (Mat_13:41); (Mat_13:42).
As great as the angels are, the Lord Jesus is infinitely better.