Monday, October 26, 2009

How to entertain an angel


Heb 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Have you ever entertained an angel? Don't know? Me neither. But I suppose some of us have on occasion, because that's what this verse says. After all, there were only so many verses available in the Word and God wouldn't waste space on something that would never happen. So, we have this admonition, don't forget to be hospitable to those you meet whom you don't know.

Okay, so how do we practically do this? I mean, what's the down side if I fail to take care of an angel? Would my guardian angel cause me to stub my toe when I head to the head at 2 in the morning?

Should I always have the fixins on hand to whip up an angel food cake? Perhaps I should conjure up a batch of divinity fudge or heavenly hash. Would I offend my heavenly visitor if I offered him a deviled egg topped with a couple of drops of Devil's Spit Tabasco sauce?

How do we entertain them?

*One, take it for granted that anybody you meet could possibly be your mystery angel.

*Two, be kind to all strangers. Even if they are not an angel, you have shared the milk of human kindness and that never goes without reward.

*Three, if a stranger has a need and you have the resource, follow the leadership of the Lord in the matter. Whatsoever you sow, you will reap. By casting your bread upon the waters, you insure that it will come back to you.

*And four, talk to the strangers about the Lord, start witnessing. If their eyes begin to twinkle, you have probably met either a fellow believer or maybe, just maybe a powerful being that has been worshiping the King for the past 6,000 years.

No comments: