Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Eyes on the Prize


Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;

Have you ever been challenged with the philosophical question: If you had to make a choice between being blind and being deaf, which would you choose?

Well, we would all say neither, but that's not an answer. The question was, "if you HAD to make a choice..."

The inability to hear has to be tremendously frustrating. Can you imagine not being able to hear the sweet voices of your children or your spouse? (Okay, no jokes here :<)

Think about no longer being able to hear the Word of God, the preaching and teaching of it. That would be tragic. Lord bless the hearing impaired. GIve them grace and patience!

But, to be blind, that's unimaginable. Often I sit at the table with food in front of me and I think about the plight of the blind. They can't see the things that I pick out fo my food; fat, impurities, ingredients I don't care for, etc. I suppose if they don't have someone to assist them, they just have to discriminate with their mouths and fingers. How tough is that?

Sunsets, mountain majesty, glorious hues, the beauty of a face, fine clothing, the sleek lines of a fine auto, all of these and more exist only in the imagination of the blind. That's tough to conceive.

However, we are all limited in our ability to sight our Saviour. The Word says that we now behold Him through a glass darkly. We see Him only by the eye of faith as we grope in the darkness of earth.

By reading the Word of the Lord, we catch glimpses of the Saviour. As we witness His hand at work in our lives, His face becomes a bit clearer. As often as we can sneek these peeks of His glory, we ought to let them lead us toward the finish line where He awaits us.

As I walk on a sidewalk, I can close my eyes and still see the details of the path in my mind for several seconds. I can continue to walk in the right direction, even though my eyes are closed.

When the Lord has been revealed to me in the Word or by His work, soon, life obscures His face. But I need to still remember the details of His visage and walk in the right direction until I can catch another glimpse of Him. This is walking by faith, just as the saints of Hebrews, chapter 11 did.

Perhaps yesterday, you saw Jesus as He made a way where there was no way. Now, today, you can't see Him, but He is still there at the finish line - walk in the same direction - looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of your faith.

No comments: