Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Lord watches out for fools.


Ps 116:6 The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low and He helped me.

I have heard this quip for years, “The Lord watches out for fools.” I thought it was just an old saying until my reading today. There it is, plain and simple. I don't know how many times I have read this verse and never saw it, the Lord preserveth the simple.

"Preserveth" means to hedge about. In our vernacular, this means He puts and fence up around that which He is protecting. It means to guard, protect, attend to. So, God is looking out for someone who seems to need a lot of looking out for.

"The simple." The Hebrew word is pethiy, pronounced peth-ee', and it means seducible, simple enough to be easily tricked.

Well then, it seems I can take this verse personally 'cause I are that!!!

If it is not those wicked hearted people out there who make a living pulling the wool over the eyes of the sheep, those snake oil salesmen, users and abusers of the non-discerning, then it is the devil and his minions. Always out there taking advantage of the unsuspecting.

Not a whole lot of people are gushing about my wisdom and discretion, but I have been called gullible. I thank the Lord that He is paying attention, hedging me in and protecting me from evil doers who would take advantage.

You want an example? There are thousands of people without one shred of moral decency who make a living calling churches asking for their rent to be paid, or their electricity to be taken care of before it is shut off and their kids being left in the dark.

I am sure that in the history of the world there have been maybe a dozen of these people who had fallen on hard times through no fault of their own who were sincere and had a genuine need. Maybe a dozen, but that's probably a stretch. Ask any pastor and he will tell you the rest are all cons working the heart strings of good hearted, but simple people.

Catch my drift? Perhaps you have been taken in, at work, at your front door, by phone, even at church. Then you know what I am saying and this verse can be a comfort to you.

Lord, preserve today's readers from those who prey on good people. Hedge them about with your protection. Repel the evil one from their doorstep. When we are brought low, help us! Amen!

No comments: