Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Do You Know Who Butters Your Bread?



Isa 1:2  Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the LORD hath spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me. 3  The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider.

Often, as my son sits at his computer and does his school work of a morning, I will butter up 2 pieces of toast, slap an over easy egg in between, and get him some coffee.

Hardly a grunt from him! You know, teen boys often speak in monosyllabic caveman language! I kind of wish for a thank you every now and then, but, no, just bye-bye sandwich, down the hatch with the coffee and on he works on his 97th semester of algebra.

Often, we forget who is frying our eggs, buttering our toast and brewing our coffee. Like Isaiah's quote of the Lord about His kids, Israel, they just go about their way, hardly ever acknowledging their Sovereign. The dumb ox knows his owner, the donkey knows his master's barn, but God's kids think money grows on trees, milk comes from the store and infinite caring just happens.

It is time we wake up and smell the coffee (and toast) and realize Who is buttering our bread each morning.

Can I get an "Amen!"?