Thursday, January 17, 2013

God's Sidewalk



Ex 24:10  And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.

This is quite a contrast. The people are immersed in a land of incongruity. The Sinai desert is a wilderness of uneven, barren, rocky, uninhabitable wasteland. Each step of man and beast is an unwelcome intrusion upon an inhospitable topography. 

Suddenly, they are granted the gift of a vision of the Lord. Order invades Sinai's disorder. Beauty transcends drabness. Glory suspends endless monotony.

The Lord is seen walking upon pavement, a sidewalk of sapphire, bluer than the heavens on a brilliant day.

As awestruck as the Jews were in the wilderness at this rare sight, I am struck that the glorious God of heaven invades my day's dreariness with adorning jewels of joy. Heaven's glory floods my soul in the midst Satan's minefield of monotony. Bountiful beauty He gives in exchange for the ashes of burned-over boredom. He has appointed the oil of joy for my morning mourning. He clothes me with the garment of praise in place of the heavy heart which threatens to plunder another precious day.

All the Jews needed was to look up toward the mount to see an incredible sight which would transform their wilderness wandering into heavenly wonder. All I need to do is look unto the hills from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Why is my soul downcast? Because my eyes are on the desert, an endless vista of hopelessness. But when I gaze upon the Lord, I can see His rainbow wrapped shoulders as He sits ensconced on His emerald throne composed of heaven. I note that the earth is his footstool. His eyes of fire captivate my vision, His feet of brass I kneel to embrace. His girdle of gold adorning His brilliant white robe shines to dispel my darkness.

I see upon His thigh the name written, King of Kings and Lord of Lords and I join with the 6-winged seraphs, the two dozen elders and a quartet of beasts in ceaseless praise, crying Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty. 

Though I plod through today's vale of sorrow, my spirit is seated in the heavenlies beholding the God of glory.

Oh, where shall my eyes be fixed today? Upon earth's dismal desert or upon Heaven's happy splendor?

No comments: