Friday, July 1, 2011

Teach us to Pray


Luke 11:1 And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. 2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. 3 Give us day by day our daily bread. 4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

Notice, that old "rock" group, Peter and the Disciples, did not ask Jesus to teach them how to pray. They asked Him to teach them to pray. That subtle difference means a bunch.

It's not that I don't know how to pray. The basic parts of prayer are familiar to me:
Adoration of the Lord? Check.
Supplication? You bet.
Intercession? Mmm Hmm.
Garnering forgiveness? Roger.
Requesting the filling of the Holy Spirit? Positive.
Praying to the Father and in the name of Jesus? Got that down.

I have to admit, my problem is the fact that I just don't pray as I know I should. So I chime in with the apostles, Lord, teach me to pray.

And so, the Lord brings me to situations where my nest is stirred. Discomfort, difficulty and need rear their ugly heads and it is time to approach the Father. I am reminded Who is the source of my supply. I am gently reminded to lift my eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help. He teaches me to pray by reminding me of my dependence on Him.

By all means, Heavenly Father, bring me to thy holy throne today. Force me to my knees, cause me to pray. For in prayer, my fellowship with thee is sweetened. I long for your holy presence. Help me to pray without ceasing, to pray believing, to pray fervently and to pray like your Son did while here on earth. I pray it in Jesus' name, Amen!

1 comment:

Herbert said...

Why we pray to God? ... Because we believe that He exists and we have not seen.
How is it we talk and we who have not seen?
by faith. by faith. by faith.
Heb 11:27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured as seeing him who is invisible.

Thank God for the faith. Thank you for hearing our prayers, do not delay in your reply. It is my prayer. Amen