Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Diagnosis: Rottenness of the Bones


Pro 14:30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.

How would you like to come away from the doctor’s office with a diagnosis like this; "Ma'am, I am sorry to inform you that you have rottenness of the bones."?

So, here is what followed...

"Oh my! What caused this horrible malady, Doc?"

"Well, it seems as if you haven't been satisfied with what the Lord has done for you, the gangrene of envy has seeped into your bones causing this acute rottenness."

"So Doc, is it fatal?"

"In most cases, yes. But it doesn't have to be."

"What can I do?"

"It is going to take some intensive gratitude therapy. You are going to have to quit looking on the things of others; their possessions and their positions, and instead learn to be content with all the wonderful things God has done for you."

"But Doc, I have been so wronged, I have so little, it all seems so unfair. I want what my neighbor has, then I would be so much happier."

"Perhaps you haven't heard that your neighbor has been in here recently and also has this dread disease. You see, she is green with envy about your good husband and children, her bones are rotten to the core."

"Oh, me and my family make her envious? But her house is so nice, she has much more square footage. They have a dog with a prized pedigree, their lawn is so green, not a dandelion to be found. Her hair and nails are always so perfect, but....her bones are rotten?"

"Yes, I believe she is doomed to misery the rest of her days because of her envy. But it's not too late, I suggest you begin your therapy right away. Read the Bible each day for perspective. Learn to pray and thank God constantly. Realize that others are really no better or better off than you. Get involved in helping others who aren't as blessed as you are. Instead of looking at all you don't have, concentrate on the huge amount of what you do have. I guarantee that bone rottenness will soon be gone for good. Start this therapy on your way home as you breath fresh air, driving your dependable car, toward home where your loving husband and precious children await you."

“Oh Doctor, thank you. What school or what medical journal taught you about all of this?”

“I found out about this one morning while I was drinking a $5 cup of Starbucks double espresso, half-caf latte caramel mocha in my BMW here in the parking lot. I was parked next to Dr. Punjab’s Massarati and feeling a little rottenness in my own bones. Our pastor left us all with a challenge to read one of the Proverbs each day and that particular day, I ran across this verse, ‘A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.’ Pro 14:30. And that is where I learned what I have shared with you today.”

No comments: