Monday, June 27, 2011

Great Faith Admired by the Lord


Luke 7:9 When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

Here, the word marveled means that the Lord admired this man, that there was actually some wonder present.

On several occasions we find people wondering after the Lord, admiring Him for His works. But this is the only individual in the Word who has the Lord marveling after him. And he wasn't even a Jew! He was not a man of the covenant, not a child of the promise. He was a Roman soldier, a centurion!

What was it about this man that had the Lord admiring him? Faith.

This man knew that Jesus didn't even have to come to his house to heal his valued servant. He
knew that Jesus merely had to speak the word and it would be done. Furthermore, he expressed this sentiment publicly in front of both Jews and Romans, soldiers and subjects. He personally knew how power and authority worked and he recognized that Jesus was one who possessed such power.

In short, this powerful man showed great faith by:
1. Knowing how power worked
2. Knowing that Jesus was a source of power
3. Expressing it publicly

And for it, he received a great and rare commendation from the Lord.

It makes me wonder, has any expression of faith I have ever expressed caused the Lord to marvel? Has my faith been pretty much run of the mill or has there been an occasion where my faith has turned God's head and caused him to express admiration?

I think I will look for an opportunity along the way today to show that kind of faith. I have in mind a few cases that could use some heavenly intervention.

No comments: