And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? Matthew 24:3
Note: Jesus is spot on when it comes to prophecy. Of course, He is the One that predetermines, and He is the One that performs that which has been predetermined.
A prime example: We observe and reflect in vs 2 the prophecy that He made concerning the building materials of the temple. The prophecy was very specific, not one stone would lie upon another. It came to pass exactly as He predicted about 37 years later. Please read about the destruction of the temple here: http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/jewishtemple.htm
Here are the signs of His future coming, the glorious appearing, and the characteristics of the times leading up to it, as given by Jesus Himself:
1. Widespread Deception. (4)
2. False Christs and Deceivers. (5, 23-26)
3. Proliferation of Wars, and Rumors of Wars. These will include regional and international wars. (6, 7)
4. Natural Disasters. Famines, Pestilences, Earthquakes. (7)
5. Increased Sorrows. (8)
6. Persecution and Martyrdom. (9)
7. Treachery and Hatred. (10)
8. False Prophets. (11)
9. Waning Natural Affection. (12)
10. Perseverance of the Saved. (13)
11. Proliferation of the Gospel. (14)
12. Desecration of the Holy of Holies. (15)
13. Extreme Hardships. (16-22)
14. Meteorological, Zoological and Astronomical Signs. (27-30)
15. The Restoration of Israel, the Fig Tree. (32-34)
16. Careless Living and a Lack of Watchfulness. (37-44)
Of course, many of these characteristics might be found in any age. However, when they begin to occur exponentially and concurrently, our attention is drawn to our Lord's prophetic specificity and what bearing it might possibly have on our proximate future.
For further reading on this subject, please request my book, Modern Fulfilment of Biblical Prophecy. It includes graphs and charts which strongly indicate we are moving nearer the Day of Christ. I would be happy to send you a digital copy without charge.
Note: These is no "date-setting" involved in this blog or in my book. I readily admit that the coming of Christ could be today, tomorrow, next week, month, year, decade or century.
Note: The terms: Day of Christ, Tribulation, Rapture, Glorious Appearing, Millennium, and other end time designations are all specifically defined in my book.