Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Found Faithful - Lordy, How Come?

I Corinthians 4:1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. 

I once heard a commencement speaker quip, "Some graduate cum laude, others magna or summa cum laude. I graduated, Lordy, how come?" 

One of the student's worst nightmares is to hear the words, "Take out a clean sheet of paper and put everything else away." Do you remember that sickening punch in the gut? Suddenly, the air would be sucked out of the classroom. The professor's wry grins contrasted the students' ghastly grimaces. The collective thought among the class was "I knew this was going to happen, why wasn't I prepared?" 

I learned early on in college how to ace tests and quizzes effortlessly thanks to Dale Carnegie's PEG memory system. It baffled classmates and teachers alike how such a dumb kid could get such high marks...every time! 

All I can say is, it pays to be prepared for the inevitable. 

Thing is, we don't get to submit the account of our faithfulness in the service of Christ as a student submits her report by the time it is due. Our faithful stewardship is like a pop quiz that will take most of the class completely by surprise. Only this quiz will be extremely weighted on our final grade. 
When Jesus calls us to the clouds, our journey to the Bema seat of Christ will require that we had been found faithful at His coming. Basically, failure, that is, lack of productivity for His kingdom, will result in a loss of honors. While those who were diligently faithful in their service for Him will be rewarded on that day of pomp and circumstance with cum laudes, magna cum laudes and summa cum laudes. 

My question is, on that day of rapture, how will I be found, discovered, exposed? Busy as a good steward, faithful in His affairs? Or twiddling my thumbs with my feet propped up thinking, "surely there won't be any pop quizzes today!"? 

Let's strive today toward our commencement so that we may be found faithful and graduate with honors.

No comments: