Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Apostle and High Priest of our Profession


Heb 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

"Apostle" by strict definition, is an ambassador of the gospel, one commissioned to carry the good news. We are well acquainted with the Apostolic band of the Disciples. Some of the qualifications mentioned are told us by Paul. An apostle is one who had seen the Lord and had been granted miraculous signs. I Cor 9:1, II Cor 12:12. Also, see Acts 1:21. He was one chosen by the Lord, specifically called and ordained to that high office.

But here, and nowhere else in the Bible, do we see that Jesus is the Apostle of our profession. He was chosen by God and sent all the way from heaven to earth, the very embodiment of the gospel. The title "Christ" also defines this mission. It means "the Anointed One."

The original Apostles were faithful in their mission of carrying the good news to the known world in their day. Thomas went to India, John to Asia Minor, Jude took the Word to Armenia, Syria and Persia. Matthew is said to have gone to Persians, Parthians and Medes. Paul took the good news as far as to Europe.

But our Apostle and High Priest brought the gospel all the way from the throne of heaven to the world.

I think of Squire Parson's classic words:

The gulf that separated me from Christ my Lord
It was so vast the crossing I could never ford
From where I was to His demand, it seemed so far
I cried dear Lord, I cannot come to where you are...

Then He came to me, He came to me, when I couldn't come to where He was, He came to me.
That's why He died on Calvary, when I couldn't come to where He was, He came to me.

He came to me when I was bound in the chains of my sin
He came to me when I possessed no hope within
He picked me up and He drew me gently to His side,
Where, today, in His sweet love I now abide.

Then He came to me, He came to me, when I couldn't come to where He was, He came to me. That's why He died on Calvary, When I couldn't come to where He was, He came to me.

We can never be apostles, that office has ceased. But we can still do the important work of taking the gospel to our world. To whom will you carry the good news today? Ask God right now to lay some soul on your heart and then prayerfully go and tell them of God's great salvation.

No comments: