Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I need another touch


Mar 8:22 And he cometh to Bethsaida; and they bring a blind man unto him, and besought him to touch him. 23 And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought. 24 And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking. 25 After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly.

The first time Jesus took this blind man by the hand and drew him just out of the edge of town, spit on his eyes and laid His hands on him. The result; "he looked up." Here is a man who has never looked anywhere in his life, but now, his first look was up. For years he must have had his head down in discouragement, but now, for the first time, things are looking up. Up is where our help comes from, where we receive spiritual sight.

Next, he said, "I see..." Now, there are two words he was never able to say before. When we meet Jesus, all things become new. We see and say things never thought possible before.

And then, "...men as trees, walking." Imagine seeing people for the first time, not clearly yet, but the forms none the less.

But then, we see something striking. For whatever reason, Jesus left his sight less than perfect until this man had to have a second touch. It was the second touch that left him with 20/20 vision. Don't you see that as somewhat mystifying? We would expect complete healing straightaway, but this was a two-step process!

I am left with the impression that the Lord's work sometimes requires stages for the sake of those touched by His hand. Partial healing requires our continued trust and dependence on the Healer.

You recall that Paul implored the Lord for the removal of the thorn in his flesh. The Lord gave him grace rather than healing. The Lord knew which gift would be the greater blessing for Paul. He is now known as the apostle of grace, rather than the apostle of healing. Grace is his great theme in much of his inspired writing.

Some find healing only in death, for once they have breathed their final breath of earth's impure air, their diseased life gives way to immortality and perfect health in which celestial air is inhaled into perfect lungs.

Others find instantaneous healing from the almighty hand of God.

But most of us find our God working in and through us in stages. The Lord allows us to receive what we need and desire over a period of time as we pray and draw ever nearer to Him.

I am blessed that this man was touched, not once, but twice by the Lord's compassionate hand. It assures me that when the Lord has done something in me, that doesn't mean He is through. He just may have even greater things in store for me down the road.

Some of our brothers tout what they call the second blessing or the second work of grace in us. I have to testify that I must be on my 2 thousandth blessing, probably many more. And works of grace? Again, we are well into the many thousands.

Lord, you know I need a brand new touch, my strength from yesterday is gone
But if You'll give me, Lord, another touch, I'll have the strength to carry on

I thought the sun had come to stay, but all too soon it went away
And in its place the storm clouds came, and with the clouds there came the rain

It rained so hard and oh, so long, beneath the storm I felt a calm
It was Your touch that brought me through it all, without Your help I'd surely fall

But it matters not what comes my way, Lord, if you'll just touch me new each day
Your loving touch drives all my fears away, close by Your side I want to stay

Lord, You know how weak I really am, oh, even better than myself
But with Your help I know I really can, make it through the darkest night
Everything's gonna be all right!

Lord, You know I need a brand new touch, my strength from yesterday is gone
But if You'll give me, Lord, just one more touch, I'll have the strength to carry on

No comments: