Friday, July 17, 2015

Go Forth

Mark 11:1-6   
And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount of Olives, he sendeth forth two of his disciples, 2  And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it, ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring him. 3  And if any man say unto you, Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither. 4  And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met; and they loose him. 5  And certain of them that stood there said unto them, What do ye, loosing the colt? 6  And they said unto them even as Jesus had commanded: and they let them go. 7  And they brought the colt to Jesus, and cast their garments on him; and he sat upon him.

Jesus sent His two unnamed disciples to make preparation for the events that would save your soul. They had to procure transportation for the triumphant entry of the Lord into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.

How might things might be different had refused their task?

One disciple might have responded to the Lord's command with, "I have other things pressing my agenda today. Sorry, you'll have to get somebody else."

The other disciple might not have felt like loosing donkeys that day. His knee might have been bothering him, his blood sugars might have been off a bit, or, he could have had a family birthday get-together to attend. Maybe his wife had been on him about being gone so much lately.

It strikes me that these disciples, who could have offered all the lame excuses we claim when tasked with some service that Master has for us, jumped to the task without hesitation.

I, for one, am very appreciative of their immediate obedience. It got the Savior from the Top of Mt. Olivet down into the city where His passion would be played out, resulting in the purchase of my salvation.

Do you suppose the Lord has a task for you today that could bring someone nearer to eternal life? I would feel safe betting on it. But what will be our response when the Holy Spirit taps us on the shoulder and whispers His orders to our heart?

Will I defer to other disciples so I can complete my ever important to do list?

Here's what my abstract list kind of looks like today:
1. Learn something rich enough to share with others.
2. Avoid discomfort, confrontation, and drama at all costs.
3. Enjoy my day while dispatching my duties.

Shallow, I know, but honest. Having considered the willingness of these unknown disciples, I think I will add a new number one on my agenda: follow the prompting of the Lord to further His work, glorify Him and move Him closer to the hearts of needy souls.


1 comment:

Charles N Tressa Rouch in Zambia said...

That I you Pastor Fuller . . The Lord knew I needed to be reminded today!����