Monday, June 30, 2014

Attitudinally Challenged

I was driving down the road, having just talked to several individuals on the phone who were tending to be unreasonable, inconsiderate and not conscious of other people's time constraints. 

I threw my eyes up toward the heavens and said, "God I really don't like people! Why in the world did you ever send your Son to die for these losers?" Immediately He spoke to my heart very loud and clearly. He said, "If I hadn't sent my Son for losers, you wouldn't be saved right now. Also, think about the things that you have done recently. Now, if I were going by your standards, I would hate you too!"

Message received!

God's grace is extended from His perfection to our depravity, from His altogether loveliness to our utter ugliness!

Consider, if you will, the grace extended to Spurgeon from Rev. Parker.

Spurgeon’s Orphanage

Charles Spurgeon and Joseph Parker both had churches in London in the 19th century. On one occasion, Parker commented on the poor condition of children admitted to Spurgeon’s orphanage. It was reported to Spurgeon however, that Parker had criticized the orphanage itself.

Spurgeon blasted Parker the next week from the pulpit. The attack was printed in the newspapers and became the talk of the town. People flocked to Parker’s church the next Sunday to hear his rebuttal.

“I understand Dr. Spurgeon is not in his pulpit today, and this is the Sunday they use to take an offering for the orphanage. I suggest we take a love offering here instead.” The crowd was delighted. 

The ushers had to empty the collection plates three times.

Later that week there was a knock at Parker’s study. It was Spurgeon. “You know Parker, you have practiced grace on me. You have given me not what I deserved, you have given me what I needed.

--Moody Monthly

No comments: