The story of Zacchaeus is one that has been told countless times in Sunday schools and the vision of the little rich man up in the tree has captured the imagination of millions. What do we know about him?
1. He was Rich. (a tax collector) Luke 19:2 And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich. But money cannot buy contentment.
2. He was a little man. Mind you, male Jews of that day were probably an average of 5'6" and they were so tall he couldn't see when in the crowd. I imagine he was just over 5'. We all come short of the glory of God. Luke 19:3 And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.
3. He was determined. There was no way he was going to miss an opportunity to see the One everybody was talking about. Luke 19:4 And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
4. He did not fail to capture Jesus' attention. Jesus sees and knows each individual and their need. Luke 19:5 And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.
5. His exuberance about the Lord caused him to act. Luke 19:6 And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully.
6. He was considered a sinner by everyone else. Think "IRS agent" Luke 19:7 And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner.
7. His new found faith caused him to act. Immediate fruit was evident in his attitude and actions. Luke 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. It is refreshing to see a professor who is also an obvious possessor.
8. He was lost, but, thanks to Jesus, now he is found! Luke 19:9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.