Friday, July 6, 2012

The Centurion’s Non-Kosher Faith


Luke 7:6 Then Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto him, Lord, trouble not thyself: for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof: 7 Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto thee: but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed. 8 For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. 9 When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

This man was notable, not only because of his lofty position, but because of his great faith. Being a Roman and a man of stature, his story sort of comes to us out of left field. It gives us hope that none of us are beyond the reach of God's grace, it just takes a little faith.

1. He and/or his servant were dear to Jesus. vs 2

2. He had heard of Jesus, and acted upon what he heard and believed. vs 3

3. He was known for his kindness toward the things of God. vss 4, 5

4. He showed great humility and understanding. vss 6-8. He knew that a rabbi entering into a Roman's dwelling would cause problems with the religious leaders. He kept his finger on the pulse of local politics and religion. Therefore, he deferred to Jesus' wisdom on how to get this thing done.

5. God was impressed! vs 9. Remember, it is faith that pleases God (Heb 11:6) Not our position, power or prowess.

There is always a blessed reward for expressed and acted upon faith. Jesus would not deny this man’s faith, regardless of nationality, culture, or political climate. "And they that were sent, returning to the house, found the servant whole that had been sick." vs 10

I challenge you to actively express your faith and act upon it at least one time during the course of the day.

No comments: